What Inspires You?

Children grow up too fast. Blink and you miss the twinkle in their eyes, the days when you were their hero, had all the answers and could make all the ouchies go away. There is one way to freeze time just for a moment. Take it all in and remember it forever. Book your session today and let us capture the moments that inspire you.

Capes, Wolf, Converse and Combat Boots

So every year I plan a photo shoot for each of my girls' birthdays. They usually end up becoming quite a production, and this next one is no different. Miranda turns 5 next month, and I have decided to do a Little Red Ridding Hood themed photo shoot. I set out to find ideas on Pinterest and came across all kinds of tutorial and ideas for everything from the cape to the wolf costume to party ideas. So far the planning is going great. I have red satin fabric in my stash for the cape and a white vintage-y dress for Miranda. Mia decided she would be the wolf. I found a printable wolf mask online, but it wasn't quite enough. See, these photo shoots are as much for me as they are for them. It gives me a great memory of them at that age. Right now their favorite thing to do is pretend so this theme is perfect. They are already planning the plot.

As for me, I find great joy in the challenge of creating something from nothing and even learning a new skill while I'm at it. Then the thrill of watching it all come together through my lens, later on my screen and finally in print gets my blood pumping.
This time around? Paper mache...

Red Riding Hood in a forest-red cape, vintage dress, and red converse high tops, haha! The big, bad wolf in similar grey cape, 3D mask, black and grey knee high socks and combat boot, yes! Well, that's the vision anyway...

Like I said, a printable mask wasn't going to cut it. I decided to make it 3D, but nothing I found online was going to work. Everything was either too simple or too horrific. Hairy wolves with blood dripping down  their chin? No thank you! I want to give the photo shoot an artistic twist. So I sat with my iPad to find out how to make my own artsy, but not gruesome, wolf mask. I decided paper mache would be the way to go if I wanted a specific look. I remembered paper mache from elementary school, but the memory was vague. I watched several tutorials and found it was easier than I thought.

Those that know me know that I am determined and impulsive. Not a good combination at times like these. Wolf mask? Sure... Learn to paper mache? Easy peasy! Getting your fingers gooped up with paste? Hold on! What?

I have a thing about getting my hands all dirty. It's not like an OCD, more like a quirk. Baby back ribs are delish but I'll have the table covered in napkins. However, I was so engrossed with watching dear Mr. Wolf's face take shape that I failed to notice my hands were practically clean. I had only used my middle finger and thumb the entire time. I supposed my determination and impulsive trait helped in this case.

Anyway, I covered the mask with the first layer and set it to dry. I may have to use more fingers next time to continue shaping it better...haha! Here is a before and after, well more like a "before and so far."


You can find this cute printable mask here. It's the inspiration for the 3D mask.

Stay tuned for updates...